Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ubuntu 8.10: Resolving Skype sound issues

It would be safe to say, Skype is the best bet for Voip calls on linux. I have almost given up on a gtalk linux client or a decent jingle client.
On a recent upgrade to Ubuntu Interpid (8.10), Skype 2.0 stopped working. Let us fix this issue and get back to our calls.



$ killall pulseaudio
$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install pulseaudio ubuntu-desktop

Great! Run skype and test if everything works.



HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

7 comments:

Edu said...

Thanx!!! Worked like a charm!!!

AA said...

hey man! havent seen you on gtalk for quite a while.. what have u been upto?

Anonymous said...

I had the skype problem as well after upgrading to Intrepid (8.10). Your solution may work, but it's basically ripping out the PulseAudio sound server; why would you want to upgrade, and then remove some of the upgrade features?

So I looked around some more, and found this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

After following those steps, which are just configuration steps, my skype is working again, and I got to keep the PulseAudio sound server.

Anonymous said...

I am a novice to ubuntu and linux thing; so i dont know at all what this audio pulsing is for. But after entering the commands i can use skype.

Thanks
-Fawad

Anonymous said...

U R DA BEST K?!!!!!

Unknown said...

You are my hero.

Anonymous said...

didn't work for me :-(