Saturday, February 16, 2008

Digsby: No love shown for linux



Digsby is a multiprotocol IM client that lets you chat with all your friends on AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, and Jabber.
It is also a social networking tool that alerts you of events like new messages and gives you a live Newsfeed of what your friends are up to on various networks - facebook, myspace etc.

It is a nice idea to integrate IM and social networking. More like what flock does with browsing and social networking. I was pretty excited when I finally got the invite code (Thanks to the nice folks at CNET).The screenshots look amazing and I was really hoping to replace the dull GAIM with gibsy.

But unfortunately only the windows client is available for download. Still, I wasn't ready to give up. I tried installing it via Cedega first and then via Wine. Wine manages to install it but it fails to run.




Sad! Anyways, i have sent them a feedback to support linux in future. It would look stunning on KDE4.Or atleast give us a webIM for the time being.
Good news, I just got a mail from SceneCaster, who finally got back after a month, regarding their work on a Linux beta client. There is still hope left in this world.

***Updated***
Digsby Revisited

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm almost there with it running on Linux with Wine. I've got some updates to post but apparently some people have got it running.

Digsby On Linux

Anoj said...

Thanks Owen for getting me up to date with the attempts to run digsby on wine. I had almost given up. Will revisit digsby soon ;)